Let’s make some SCSC (SC2)!
This is a very rare TKE blog post because this recipe was MADE by Allison and this blog post is written by Allison!! This is a first. An Allison2 for an SC2.
So I actually got this recipe largely from my office mate who got it from our other office mate. When I told that office mate that our other office mate gave me the recipe, she said “oh yeah. I give those recipes to all of my pregnant friends………” So you can keep in mind that perspective – that this recipe is so easy that it is ideal for pregnant women, or new parents who are too busy to cook.
I am neither of those. But I would say I am in fact too busy to cook and meal prep every night for lunches every day, so the system that has worked for me is: meal prepping five portions of one meal Sunday night, and bringing it every day of the work week for lunch. I especially love using the slow cooker because you put everything in right before you go to bed, wake up, and you have lunch for a week! Some people hate the idea of this (like Elide), but it works for me!
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
For reference, this is the original recipe!!! Feel free to leave now and follow that. I slightly changed it for my own preferences.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours, on low
- 2 chicken breasts frozen is fine, I used frozen. The OG recipe calls for thigh)
- 1/2 jar store-bought salsa (whichever you like best)
- 1 1/2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cans corn
- 1 container of pico de gallo
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 3 limes
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Put chicken, black beans, and corn into slow cooker.
- Season all of the above with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Pour half your jar of salsa on top.
That’s literally……..it. You don’t have to thaw the chicken, you literally have to be in the kitchen for like 3 minutes.
It will look like this:
4. Before you go to sleep, turn the slow cooker on low.
5. In the morning….your lunch will look like this:
6. Grab two forks and shred your chicken and mix everything together! Did you know cooking your chicken like this will make it SUPER easy to shred and all you need is two forks?! This rocked my world when I found out.
7. Your meal will then look like this.
8. Now pull out your pico de gallo, half one of your limes, and add your fresh cilantro
9. And now enjoy!
If bringing to the office for lunch, be sure to pack your cilantro, pico de gallo and lime in a separate container so that you can easily heat up the rest of the meal and then add those in!
So, that’s it! You can add rice and it’d be delicious, or add tortilla chips and it’d be amazing. Or even add spinach and make it a salad with a vinaigrette, but I just loved how FAST this was to put together. Hope you make it and like it too!