Elide first made biscuits on November 11, 2017. I know this because we posted it on Instagram!
They were good…but Chef Elide wanted to make her own! I personally have never had a bad biscuit in my life, and thought the OG biscuits were good, but I’ve got to say…the current biscuit I think is pretty darn perfect. It’s thick and fluffy. My coworker said that it would work well as strawberry shortcake and I agree! Or….as a perfect breakfast sandwich bun…
Elide’s current biscuit recipe is below! Give it a try and we will be sure to let you know if she makes any updates to her already delicious recipe. Oh – and the honey butter! Regular butter just isn’t good enough.
Before you get started…just be sure to note you need to freeze the butter ahead of time…so once you buy all these ingredients, throw that butter in the freezer so you’re not SOL. 🙂
LASTLY, if you need a cast iron skillet, Elide got both of hers at HomeGoods for like $15 each and she uses them seriously like every day. So definitely worth it!
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 10 tbsp of frozen unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup of VERY cold buttermilk (Elide says she will explain this in the instructions)
- 2 tbsp of melted butter (used at the end to brush on top of biscuits)
- A drizzle of honey (to brush on top)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap, grab cup of buttermilk and put both in freezer for around 15 minutes (you want all of your ingredients to be as cold as possible so that you don’t melt the butter when you’re making the dough. If you don’t do this, your biscuits won’t be flakey)
- Grate the butter with a handheld cheese grater, into flour mixture
- Mix flour and butter together gently, while breaking apart any large pieces of butter
- Add 3/4 cup of buttermilk into mixture while gently mixing the dough with your hands until combined (if there is a lot of loose flour at the bottom, add some more buttermilk. The dough should be slightly sticky and wet)
- Dust a flat surface with flour, place dough on floured surface, roll dough into a ~1 inch rectangle, fold dough over in half, and gently roll again. Repeat 2x.
- Use a biscuit cutter or class to cut dough into biscuit shape. Make sure not to twist when cutting. Twisting crimps the edges and the dough won’t rise. If you have any scraps, form them into a rectangle and cut again.
- Place biscuits on a 10″ cast iron skillet or baking sheet and place in oven. Make sure the biscuits ARE touching.
- Put biscuits in oven for 10-15 min. At the last couple of minutes, brush them with melted butter, drizzle some honey, and put them back in the oven.
Honey Butter Ingredients:
- 1 stick of room temperature butter
- 1/4 cup of honey
Honey Butter Instructions:
- Use handheld or stand mixer to combine butter with honey. Whip until combined and looks fluffy.